Monday, February 24, 2014

Gluten-Free Survival Guide: College Edition- Sharing a Kitchen


Living with people that are not gluten free can pose a cross contamination threat. You have to be aware of the threats as well as be sure that those sharing the space with you are properly educated about possible issues. Last year I lived in an on campus house with two gluten-eating housemates, so I had to keep on my toes and always make sure I was careful when preparing food.

Luckily, I didn’t have much trouble with it because my housemates were understanding and careful and I took some preventative measures right away. I had my own dinnerware, cutlery, pots/pans, utensils, cutting boards, etc. all of which were solely for gluten free foods. I also kept my own sponges away from the others and they were only used with my things to avoid possible cross contamination.

In the pantry, my things were on an upper shelf above all of my housemates food and gluten containing items such as wheat flour were kept on the lowest shelf to prevent possible spills on to my foods. Also, I made sure to thoroughly wipe off any surfaces before I used them for food prep.


Tips for living with gluten-eaters:
  • ·      Be aware of possible dangers/problem areas
  • ·      Have separate utensils, sponges, cutlery, etc…
  • ·      Store GF food on shelves above gluten containing foods in pantry and fridge
  • ·      Wipe down surfaces before preparing gf food on them
  • ·      Educate those sharing the space with you 

No comments:

Post a Comment