Monday, March 12, 2012

Gluten free Chinese food? No problem!

Due to popular request,  I am sharing my recipe for fried rice. This is a family favorite that was taught to me by my mother. It's simple and delicious. I always make sure to keep some in my freezer at school because it's great when I need more veggies. When I'm home, I find myself making some variation of this at least once a week. It's a fun recipe to get creative with because you can change up the add ins. I hope you will like it as much as my family and friends do. Enjoy!


Frozen fried rice for my dorm freezer.




Fried Rice-

Freezable, leftover-friendly, and a great way to cram a lot of veggies and protein into a bowl.


2 cups of cooked rice
2 cups of assorted chopped veggies- (peppers, broccoli, carrots, bean sprouts, snow peas, mushrooms, cabbage, etc)
½ a small onion chopped
1 cup of chopped cooked chicken, pork, or beef
2 tablespoons of oil
2-3 tablespoons of gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
3 eggs, beaten

Cook onion and peppers first in oil in a large skillet. Stir in the hot oil over medium heat until softened about 3 minutes. Add the rest of your veggies and stir them frequently. A lid on the pan will help broccoli and carrots steam a little and hurry cooking time along. When your veggies are tender, but not mushy, about 6 – 8 minutes, add the cooked rice and the cooked meat. Stir this into veggies and then add the soy sauce.  Make an empty space in the center of your pan and pour the eggs in. Scramble them and then incorporate them into the rice and veggie mixture. Taste and see if you need more soy sauce.

To freeze, fill 1 quart freezer bags half full. Squeeze out the air and seal. Flatten the bag to a single layer of fried rice. Lay flat in freezer and stack your meals on top of one another for the best way to fill a tiny dorm freezer. This makes the rice easy to break off and heat a single serving.

4 comments:

  1. Great post. Am going to make this for my daughter. She's GF and at a residential high school. She keeps getting glutened, even with being very careful in the cafeteria. She's to the point of only eating what she or I cook.

    As you know, cooking in the dorm is frowned upon, so I'm using your ideas for food and packaging for her.

    Can't wait to read your post about cooking with a hot pot!! She has one, but so far only boils water with it.

    She'll be heading off to college 10 hours away this fall, so we'll spend the summer learning how to cook and package food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad I could help! I hope to experiment with dorm foods more this summer when I'm home, so hopefully I'll come up with some easy, great tasting recipes. Also, I will be living in a house on campus next year, which will make getting safe food easier, and also allow me to experiment more with recipe development. Hopefully my future posts will be helpful to you and your daughter as well!

      Delete
  2. I subscribe to your mom's blog and am not surprised that she has taught you to do so well cooking gluten free. I hope that your college career remains as successful as it has so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you find both blogs to be helpful!

      Delete