Friday, October 28, 2011

Who needs Ramen?

A little over two months into my college experience, I find myself hungrier than ever. Not only for food, but also for knowledge and athletic success. Now that's good and all, but I'm sure you're much more interested in the food than hearing about my classes or how hard practice was this week.

I'm going to share some of my dorm room staples that I make sure to cook when I go home so that I can stash them in my freezer at school. First, we have my favorite choice for a quick and hearty breakfast before those early morning classes: omelet muffins. These are very simple to make and they freeze and reheat well.

Omelet Muffins-


12 eggs, beaten
¼ cup flour (I use GF Bisquick because it has baking soda)
Your favorite omelet toppings (my top picks are cheese, sausage cut into small pieces, and green bell peppers)

Preheat oven to 375. Mix eggs and flour. Next add toppings and gently stir them in. Lightly grease a muffin pan and add an even amount of the egg mixture to each section. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Once fully cooked, let cool on a wire rack.

Omelet Muffins



I usually individually wrap these and then put them in a freezer bag. This makes it easy to pull them out and heat them up. I have one for breakfast pretty much every day with a Bolthouse Farms fruit smoothie and an Envirokidz cereal bar before class. They're a fast and easy way to get your protein in the morning.

Another favorite of mine are jalapeño popper muffins. This recipe was adapted from Silvana Nardone's Jalapeño Popper Waffles


Jalapeño Popper Muffins-            

¾ cups Gluten-Free Bisquick
¼ tsp salt
1 large egg, beaten
¾ cup milk
2 ounces softened cream cheese, cut into pieces
3 tablespoons of diced jarred jalapeno peppers

Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 24 mini-muffin pan. Mix all ingredients until combined. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until muffins are golden and puff up.

Jalapeño Popper Muffins

Lastly, we have Pizza Puffs. College and pizza go hand in hand and being gluten free, you can miss out on a lot. That's why I like these. They are fantastic when you're craving pizza during a late night study session, or when your friends order pizza and you don't want to feel left out. I have them in my freezer along with a freezer bag of pizza sauce to dip them in. I used Hormel Natural pepperoni for these because I am sensitive to BHT, which is a preservative found in most pepperoni. You can get creative with these and use whatever toppings you like on your pizza in them. 

Pizza Puffs


Being paranoid about eating in the dining hall and keeping my freezer full of good food is vital to my college success. This goes back to my motto, "when in doubt, go without." Taking risks with your health because it may be more convenient at the time just isn't worth it. Sometimes you just have to get creative, which brings me to the topic of a future post, dorm room cooking with a hot pot. I need to do some experimenting on that first though. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. gfe--gluten free easily posted a link to your post on facebook and I clicked through. What an exciting adventure for you! My family of three is gluten free after my husband's initial Celiac diagnosis 4 years ago. Genetic testing confirmed our daughter has two Celiac genes, even though we don't have actual Celiac diagnosis. We all feel 100 times better without gluten, and that's all the diagnosis we need! As a mom to a 6 year old who is very bright and athletic, I am truly grateful for young people like yourself who are getting involved, taking the opportunity to inform, education, and change the definition of "normal" in their environment. Hopefully by the time my daughter gets to college, she'll have more options than "risk getting sick" or "stock up when I can." Your packing of that tiny fridge is impressive, and all of the muffins look really good (things I will try at home for those busy days!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. I follow several gluten free blogs, and yours is new to me.
    Good luck with the hot plate cooking. If you can lay your hands on a mini crockpot, you can do amazing things with it. They often go on sale at Walgreen's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you get GF bisquik? Or is it a mix you make?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The GF bisquick is sold at Meijer grocery stores. It is right by the regular bisquick, but says GF on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the feedback!

    Rainya, I'm glad to hear my posts are helpful. I've seen far too many people neglect to ask about their food because they don't like to be different or are embarrassed. I hope to pave the way for other celiacs and take some of the stress away from eating.

    Annie, I wish I could try the crockpot, but my dorm only allows a microwave and a hot pot, so I've had to get very creative. Hopefully the hot pot cooking goes well!

    T, like Krista said, it's usually next to the regular Bisquick and Meijer has it. And also I usually get it at Kroger. It really depends on the particular store though because the Kroger at home has it, but the one by my college doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you use gf bisquik for the pizza puffs too? Thanks - and I love that you are sharing. My daugther isn't even 4 years old yet, but I am a planner, so I am alreadying thinking about (read - worrying about) college!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, for the pizza puffs I used King Arthur gf flour. It's a better texture for that particular recipe because it's more dense. I'm glad to hear you're planning ahead! Hopefully by the time your daughter is in college there will be a lot more progress in the gf world, which would make it easier for her.

      Delete